| We are
very proud of our newest attraction ~ the newly renovated Georgetown
Ranch Barn. This beautifully restored historical monument was part of
the original Georgetown Ranch and has recently been restored to
beautiful condition. It is located right next to the #7 green.
A History of the Georgetown
Contributed by Holly Wilson ~
In the late 1800's a group of Mormon settlers led by George
Morley arrived in the Steptoe Valley and established a farming
community at its southern end. Named Georgetown for its founder (or,
alternately, for a church official of the time--there is
controversy here), the colony prospered, building a small
church, a schoolhouse, and other structures that supported the Western habit of self-sufficiency.
The very water that gave the Ranch life,
however, proved too
abundant for the settlers, often flooding their expanding enterprise. So
they moved on, many into the Lund and Preston areas.
Arthur L. Smith, President of Ely Light and
Power, took control
of the Ranch in the early 1900's, and it was he who ordered the barn
built---generic in its uses, individual in design and character.
All tin painted red exterior with white wooden trim, galvanized
metal roof, and some windows with real glass, the two-story structure
housed teams of draft horses, Smith's prized Hereford stock, calves,
dairy cows, and stores of hay and grain. Unusual trapezoidal framing
sturdied the loft over a partially-cemented floor. Feed slid from the
loft through interior chutes or was tossed outside from the
"cannonball" sliding windows. Smith had the barn wired for lighting and
modest electrical needs. It sat amid a sea of corrals; the big red
beyond Georgetown's red gate.
Click on any photo to
Eventually the Ranch passed into Ely City's ownership, sections
of its valuable flood plain leased for compatible purposes. The old
Georgetown buildings were dismantled, removed, or succumbed to fire. Today
just the slaughterhouse (east of #5 golf tees) remains in addition to the
barn, which finds itself ( at nearly 100 years of age) surrounded by
colorful golfers instead of cowboys. Course equipment now fills the dark
We encourage visitors to photograph and/or sketch the Barn from
different perspectives in every season. It stands as icon of
White Pine's history and the special landscape that is Great Basin and